Sunday, July 31, 2016

Went for a walk today.

 Somewhere around 12kms from my house to the Vancouver Art Gallery and back. I wore some relatively new boots, they are guaranteed for life but they hurt my feet so now I have boots that are guaranteed to hurt my feet for life.


 And Audible. Digital books read to you live, sometimes by celebrities, sometimes by Wil Wheaton. I put a good two hours into Ready Player One. It's good.


 Not spectacular, not yet, but good. But it's marketed directly at me, being someone who grew up in the 80s. It talks about changing technologies. And the ultimate virtual reality video game that consumes everyone.


 Plus, Wil Wheaton.


 The love/hate relationship with my new camera continues. I had to invest in new memory cards at the same time. I needed something that could handle the write speeds of the new camera, and SD format, and larger format images twice the size of what I'm used to. I bought two 64GB cards, the camera has two slots, each card will hold over 1000 photographs, I can't remember the last time I took more than 150 in gone go.


 New boots, made to last for life, which is what I wanted, but as they hurt my feet today reminded me of the old adage, "be careful what you wish for." And a new camera, that will last a few years, giving more than I need, but less than I want. 2200 pictures? Is it a camera for monkeys? I can't get through the 36 frames in a film camera for months. But that film is in a 45 year old camera that still works.

Sometimes all I want is a good Caribbean roti.


 I walked to the Vancouver Art Gallery today. Harry Callahan was featured on the second floor. The photos of his wife and child are lovely. Picasso was on the ground floor, Callahan on the second. I never did get Picasso, but Callahan was brilliantly good. It felt wrong that the Picasso floor was crowded, the Callahan floor nearly deserted.

But what do I know?


I'm going to soak my feet. Contemplate shooting more black and white film. Watch Raiders of the Lost Ark. Drink a beer, or three. Then go to bed.

It's been a lovely day.

No comments: